1.) He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2) I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; In Him will I trust.
3) Surely He shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler(Trapper of birds), and from the noisome(perilous or deadly) pestilence.
4) He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: His truth shall be thy sheild and buckler (a small shield).
5) Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6) Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7) A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8) Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9) Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation.
10) There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11) For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12) They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13) Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder; the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14) Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15)He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble: I will deliver him, and honor him.
16) With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
This is what God has spoken to my heart through this chapter and I thought that I would share it with you. Maybe God will use it for His glory in your life. It's not here to glorify me, I'm nothing and without God's intervention I wouldn't even be able to think this way! It's because of His amazing grace!
God has said that as long as I seek His face and pray and keep my spiritual life in tune with Him, He will protect me from the onslaught of the devil! This passage has some wonderful promises in it.
In the first verse it says that He that dwelleth will abide under the shadow of the Almighty. However it doesn't say he that just dwelleth anywhere. Where must we abide, or spend our time? In the secret place with God, now I don't believe that every moment of every day we must stay on our knees in our secret closets, because God also says in his word that we should work so that we can eat and support our families. But I do believe that we are to be in a constant state of prayer, in constant communion with our Lord.
The next verse goes on to say that God is our refuge and our shield! Those are also some powerful promises! Who do we know here on earth that could be that for us? I don't know of anyone. Yes we do have people that we can go to who help us pray and have someone that would stand in the gap to pray a hedge about us but they can't literally be our shield. God has already offered His Son Jesus for that very purpose. Jesus blood shields us from the devil, as long we stay under the blood.
Verse 3 goes on with some more wonderful promises, He has promised that he will deliver us, here it says from a fowler, but I believe that in essence He's saying that He'll deliver us from our enemy, the devil, who walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. God has said that if we'll seek refuge with Him and walk in His truth and His light that he'll protect us. Then in verse four He goes on to say that He'll cover us with His feathers. If you've ever seen a mother hen when danger comes she calls to her young and they gather under her wings and she keeps them safe even to the point of giving her very life to save her young. I have a children's story about a hen that gave her life in a fire to save her young and when the fire was over the farmer came through and when he moved her aside out from under her came her little peeps just as safe as could be. That's what God is calling us to do is to hide beneath His wings. He never meant for us to just hang out there by ourselves and "try" to do things on our own. We can't do things on our own, we must have God's help. Also in this verse it talks about how His truth will be our buckler or small shield. Even Jesus used Scripture when he was tempted in the wilderness. That's one reason God breathed His Word and had it written is so that we can have something to fight the enemy with.
Verse five has been a real comfort to me. And I found that I'm not the only one who struggles with fear at night! But here in verse five God says that we don't have to "be afraid for the terror by night, nor for the arrow that flieth by day!" Well Praise the Lord! Another place in the Psalms it says that "What time I am afraid I will trust in thee!" Truly we don't have to be afraid for like another scripture says what can man do to me? And who can be against us when God is for us! Verse six kind of goes right along with that, we don't have to fear the pestilence that walketh in darkness. Thank the Lord for where He is there is light! Ask God to shine his light over you and help you stay right in the middle of that light!
Further on in the chapter in verses 11-12 it talks about how God gives His angels charge over us to keep us lest we dash our foot against a stone. God never intended for us to walk this way blindly but wants to guide us and guard us if we'll let Him.
I know this post has been long but just thought I would share with you what God has been sealing to my heart. And just what He gave me as I was writing this post. I love Jesus and I love what God has done in my life. And I'm praying that God will fill me with His precious Spirit so that I can be on fire for Him. I've been contending for the Glory. Will you join with me in contending for the glory? I'm seeking for revival in my own heart as well as the dark, wicked valley that I live in. I aim to make Heaven my home and praise my Saviour forever!